Sunday, December 14, 2008

Third Ketamine Infusion

The third infusion was done on December 9th. We had an ice storm early that morning, and I wasn't sure I would be able to make it. Sheer determination prevailed, and the Iowa road crews had done their jobs and I made it. Of course, I wasn't able to get my car until 2 nights later! Everything worked out though. I didn't really have any strange feelings with this infusion - mostly just felt like I took a nice nap. Wasn't too awfully difficult to come out of it. It was funny watching the video I took, because I asked the doc a question about his Christmas plans, but I don't remember asking it, and he answered but it was obvious I was out by then! And when I woke up, I had the monitor leads on my chest too, which he put on after I was under the anesthesia. I was dizzy as usual until I got home, but was able to stay awake all evening, and really didn't feel like I'd had anything different go on that day. I'd say my pain was at a 2 when I arrived for this final infusion, and was between a zero and 1 when I left. I slept fine all night, and went into work the next day at noon, and worked until 8:30 that evening! This was the first week I've actually put in a full week - just over 40 hours - since May of this year. My energy is returning, and at times I'm usually able to go 12 hours or more until my next dose of Oxycontin. I've been on 30mg twice daily, and just this evening (after going 15 hours since my last dose, I decided to only take 20mg for tonight. I will speak with the doctor's office tomorrow to get the "official" titration schedule. He also wanted me to call and let him know how I felt.

One of the things I've noticed is that my senses of smell and sight have been slightly altered since I started. My smell seems a little keener - not that there's always something there to account for what I think I'm smelling, mind you! And I seem to be seeing things I hadn't noticed before.

Of course, everyone who knows me knows that my memory has been affected by the CRPS, as well as the meds. I'm hoping that improves as well, by I won't hold my breath on that. It would be nice, but I'm more than content with the pain relief.

While total pain relief would have been awesome, I am so happy with this result. Given that so few of these have been done and that I'm my doctor's first patient to have the infusions, it's impossible to say what might happen, and whether I have achieved maximum benefits yet. At any rate, just to have worked a full week has been an absolute blessing.

I know that all this could not have been possible without God's love, and the prayers and support from family, friends, coworkers, and strangers alike. I am truly humbled. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I may not blog as often, but plan to keep everyone apprised of all developments with my CRPS.

No comments: